Effective keyword phrases are in high demand and frequently searched for.
Keyword phrases need to be put in the important places within each web page.
Search engines give higher relevance to certain phrases and words within HTML documents, it's a must that you put your keyword phrases in the right place.
If the only place you put your keywords in are as meta tags your website will not get a high ranking. You need to do more!
The best places to put keyword phrases are:
* Page title
* In the first 25 words on the page *this refers to the first 25 words of text placed in the HTML document. Often this is where the navigation for your page is.
* As links
* In the file name (eg. the URL)
* META tags
* In bold text
Finding Good Keywords
Tools that can help you find them
Wordtracker offers a 7-day free trial. If you are happy with it you can pay $59 for a month access.
How to use Wordtracker:
- Enter a keyword phrase you are thinking about targeting
- Wordtracker will suggest hundreds of related phrases, click the ones you like.
- When you have clicked on all the phrases you like then run them through the program.
- Wordtracker will compile a score for each phrase. This is based on the number of users searching for it and the number of websites targeting the phrase.
- Higher the score is, the better the keyword phrase.
They offer a free trail period.
Type in a keyword phrase and it will tell you which websites are targeting that particular phrase. You can also click to see which other keywords that website is targeting. An excellent tool for giving you ideas for keyword phrases based around what search terms your competitors are targeting.
So you don't want to have to pay?
Who could blame you!
Let's look at the free option
Google Adwords Keyword Planner
Just lilke Wordtracker - it will tell you how many people are searching for each keyword phrase and the level of competition.
There are links on the page to help you get started and learn how to use Keyword Planner (look for the links at the bottom of the page)
Plus is free and much quicker to use than Wordtracker!